Wednesday 26 February 2014

February favorites

February has been a very mixed month for me when it comes to makeup products, and unfortunately I've felt quite underwhelmed by a lot of the new products I have tried. This has meant that I've turned to some old tried, tested and well loved favorites to restore the balance. One of the new products that I've recently tested and really taken to is the Orly Bonder Rubberized Basecoat (£8.70). Let's just  disregard the somewhat strange name right away and go straight to the excellent qualities of this basecoat. The formula contains ingredients that make the basecoat feel ever so slightly sticky, and rubbery which means that nail polishes will get a better grip and last longer on your nails. When I use this basecoat nail polishes will last approximately 2-3 days longer than they normally would so e.g. a Barry M nail polish, usually lasting 3 days now stretches to 5 before the chipping is substantial. It is more expensive than many decent basecoats on the high street, however the bottle is a generous size and considering you don't need to apply nail polish as often any more, it's well worth getting. I'm so excited about this basecoat - yes I know... it is only a basecoat, BUT I'm beginning to hope that this is the solution to my unsatisfactory relationship with Chanel polishes which on my nails always chip already after a few hrs. I'll take it for a Chanel specific test drive and let you know how it went.

The fragrance that I've been wearing the most this month, is the gorgeous DKNY Energizing Fall EdT (£42). I've been feeling a bit cold and miserable after all the rain and the time spent outdoors and this has been perfect to restore my mood. It's an unusual but well balanced EdT with it's warming spicy and fruity scent of mandarin, lemon, jasmine, magnolia, musk, vetiver and cardamom. The blend is so harmonious, calming and beautiful with lots of substance and I'm suprised that I haven't seen it on more perfume shelves of department stores. 
A completely new discovery for me this month, and already a firm favorite is Batiste's Dry Conditioner (£3.99). It's the same concept as with dry shampoo, you basically spray it onto dry hair and then brush and style as usual but instead of cleansing your hair, this conditioning spray adds nourishment which makes the hair smooth shiny and sleek. It's an amazing product that adds a lot of volume, freshness and control without the crispiness of a hair spray. I'm completely addicted to it and start using it already the day after a hair wash and I'm definitely trying the one for strength and shine next.

One of the must have products in any decent makeup collection is a perfect nude lipstick, something which I had been trying to find for aaaages. After much searching and swatching I eventually found one in L'Oréal's Color Riche Collection Privée (£8.19), more specifically in the shade Julianne Moore. It's a gorgeous peach color with just enough pink for a subtle and natural look, and since I've already reviewed it in more detail in my article about natural colors for makeup where you can also see a swatch, I'll only mention here that the formula is moisturising and pleasant to wear, and it fades well throughout the day. I've worn this shade so often since I bought it, not just on a "no makeup" day and although it took me a while to find a pale shade that I'm confident in wearing, I've finally got it now and it was well worth the wait.

Since I've spent so much time outdoors in February I haven't really felt like getting all glammed up in my best YSL Youth Liberator Serum foundation, so after a bit of digging around in my tash I've rediscovered the No 7 Instant Radiance Foundation (£12.50). It's perfect for those days when you're feeling a bit tired and your skin is stressed, and it'll give a light to medium coverage as well as a natural finish. The formula is lovely and silky with light reflecting particles that makes the skin look radiant but without any glitter or shimmer, and it feels great and soothing on tired or dry skin. The foundation is a little bit more expensive than many other great options from e.g. Bourjois or L'Oréal, but the No 7 Match Made Service makes it worth those extra few pounds since you're guaranteed to get as close a match with your natural skin tone as you can get.
I debated with myself if I should include this last beauty product that I've loved this month, but in the end I decided to put it out there. As you may remember I did a review of the Diorblush from the  Trianon collection earlier this month, which was a bit of a let down simply because of the weak pigmentation, which is why I decided to show this bargain blusher, MUA 1D Cheek Tint in Coral Cutie. Expensive doesn't always equal great quality! It's a lovely soft and creamy cheek tint in a stick form, which is easy to apply and blend in and it stays in place all day long. Dab a little of this beautiful sunny coral shade on your cheeks and blend for a fresh and healthy looking glowing skin. This was a limited edition MUA product which I bought in Superdrug last year for no more than a few pounds, but since it's now only available on ebay these days the price is hugely inflated, as so often happens although you should be able to get one for around £5-6, and it's definitely worth it. 

I don't usually include non beauty items among my monthly favourites, but since it was a bit thin on the beauty ground this month for me, I thought I would show you a scarf I've been wearing at least a few times a week since I got it for Christmas. It's a two toned reversible cashmere scarf from LK Bennett - one of the sides and the tassels are in a gorgeous warm cerulean blue, and when you turn it over the other side is in a cool steel blue. It's long enough to double fold it and it's lovely and wide to use as a cashmere throw or stola. I hope you've had more luck than I with new products this monthly, and I'd love to know if you've also got any non beauty products among your February favorites?

67 comments:

  1. great products :)

    http://prettypurple92.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I need to try dry conditioner!! Sounds fab!!

    Anoushka
    Anoushkaloves.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really lovely, and I'm not exaggerating - I really think I'm addicted to it :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. The dry conditioner sounds so cool! I will definitely have to give that a go! xx

    Mapped Out | A Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great concept to add a little boost to the ends of your hair - wonderful! :o). Xx

      Delete
  4. I need some of the dry conditioner in my life, my hair always feels a bit straw like after using dry shampoo so hopefully this will be the remedy! Great post

    X Emma
    http://missemmacharlotte.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case you should definitely try this - it makes the hair so sleek and manageable :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. Love the batiste dry shampoos!

    redlipsandbeautybits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I always have a few on the go at the same time :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. Love NO7 foundations, so good for the price x

    pearlsandsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kirsty - I agree completely and I'm surprised that we don't see them mentioned more in blogiverse. Let's show them some love :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. I want to try all of these now! Gorgeous products - I'm also obsessed with finding a nude lipstick so I may have to try this! :-) xxx

    www.stylapetite.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried so many brands and shades and they always made me look "beige" and lifeless but this is great and I might even try a few of the other shades :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen the MUA cheek tints in my local store, I will have a look out for them as it sounds great and handy for your bag xx
    http://opportunitysmile.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been weary of cream and liquid blushers, but they are surprisingly easy to apply and work with :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you so much - have a super day :o). Xx

      Delete
  10. Dry conditioner, what a great idea for a product! I'm not a fan of Batiste dry shampoo but I need to try this x

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Claire! It's the same concept, but the product is completely different - none of the white powder and "rough" texture and the scent is much more subtle as well. It's well worth a try :o). Xx

      Delete
  11. Great selection Charlotte - let's hope MUA bring back those blush sticks in their permanent line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes - fingers crossed, although @5 is still a a very reasonable price for it :o). Xx

      Delete
  12. That dry conditioner sounds perfect for me! The shampoo didn't work for me at all as it made it look so dry x

    A Little Treat | Beauty & Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely and softening for the hair - I hope you get on better with this than the shampoo :o). Xx

      Delete
  13. Hi Charlotte, I'm going to mention the dry shampoo as well, it does sound amazing and something I really need for my hair. My hair is nothing but a mess to be honest -urgh!

    http://www.annanuttall.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Anna, hope you are well :o). You should try it then - I think it's amazing and am looking forward to trying the strengthening one too :o). Xx

      Delete
  14. Really want to check out that lipstick line, they sound lovely <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased with the Julianne Moore shade - it's gorgeous :o). Xx

      Delete
  15. I have always loved DKNY perfumes, I would love to what is the scent of this one! :)
    Lovely review!

    www.callmemaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful scent, a great pick me up :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. Ohh I've been wanting to scope out that line from l'oreal but haven't seen it anywhere! Also, I'm interested in this new batiste formula. I'm still going through my l'oreal dry shampoo that was just so-so, and will definitely switch back to batiste when it's out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the L'Oréal version actually, but it doesn't seem like you're very impressed so I think I'll stick with Batiste or Dove does another good one :o). Xx

      Delete
  17. the conditioner sounds really good!
    Alessia
    THECHILICOOL
    FACEBOOK
    Kiss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful product - with one spray you're hair is all nice and smooth :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. maybe nice for dry hair!!
    http://fetish-tokyo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the L'Oreal Julianne Moore shade too, it's a very nice day lip!

    Stacey Expat Make-Up Addict

    ReplyDelete
  20. DNKY perfume is amazing! The DNKY Woman perfume has best my signature scent for 7 years now :) x
    http://lipstickandlightening.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the sign of true perfume love :o). Xx

      Delete
  21. I love dry shampoo and have been curious about dry conditioner. The Batiste one you tried sounds amazing! I'll have to see if I can find it. That scarf is so pretty!

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I love that it's reversible for whatever color you want to show that day :o). Xx

      Delete
  22. Nice favourits, the loreal lippy looks really nice. Shame to here that you didn't like the dior blusher. I hate when things like this happen, such a money waster!!

    http://allaboutevesbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the eyeshadows didn't let me down :o). Xx

      Delete
  23. I enjoy your posts. I just posted my February Favs too.

    http://www.cindyslittleblackbook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cindy - that's really nice of you :o). Xx

      Delete
  24. The Batiste dry conditioner sounds really intriguing! :) xxx
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they had it in a travel sie so I could have one in my handbag :o). Xx

      Delete
  25. The No7 Instant Radiant Foundation is one of my favourites! Great post hun :) x
    the-finestthings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have to try that Batiste conditioning mist!

    Ray | Obey Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely should and it's very reasonably priced too :o). Xx

      Delete
  27. I find that L'Oreal lipstick make my lips too dry :( Great post! xo's

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognise that from some of them as well. This one is great on me, but I have had the same issue with others... Xx

      Delete
  28. Great post! I love batiste dry shampoo, so I'll have to try the conditioning mist, as my hair does seem to get dry, so hopefully it will help!<3
    lameyy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed it will and that you'll enjoy it :o). Xx

      Delete
  29. I have been searching forever for the perfect nude lip gloss I will have to check out L'Oréal's Color Riche Collection Privée in Julianne Moore! Thanks for the suggestion :)
    emmasbeginning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find a great shade that you love as much as I do this one :o). Xx

      Delete
  30. Great post! I like that you describe each product very detailed. I have been loving the Orly base coat for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very nice of you Amelie and I really appreciate that :o)! It's a great discovery for me and I think it'll become a staple item in the nail care kit :o). Xx

      Delete
  31. Awesome products you have here! Loved the post!

    Relationships.College.Love

    ReplyDelete
  32. I definitely want to try the Orly bonder basecoat and the Batiste dry conditioner. I have that Julianne's Nude lipstick and it is one of my favorite every day lip colors! Great picks. Currently I'm loving one of the L'oreal extraordinaire liquid lipsticks

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a brilliant basecoat - I'm so pleased with it :o). Ah, interesting I picked one up yesterday and so far the pigmentation seems awesome! Xx

      Delete
  33. I have Coral Cutie and swatched it, and wasn't expecting the pigmentation!! Didn't know it was limited edition, so I'm lucky I got it off Superdrug last month then! (Sorry your Dior blush was a let down, because I really like Corail Bagatelle :( )

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely post I use Batiste dry shampoo but I haven't seen the conditioner off to boots to try some. Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great for making your hair soft and sleek on the go :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!